Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Herald Angels

While searching for xmas gift ideas, I came across this AWESOME blog post:
and madly began an attempt at SIX of these. Weeeellll a week later I came to my senses and did manage 3! I was just chomping at the bit to use Tim Holtz's reverse stamping technique on acetate, which is how I created my backgrounds (see Tim's post HERE). I even made my own frames using lattice from Home Depot - so impressed MYSELF!! LOL!


I tried 3 different colored backgrounds, and I do like how they came out.  I was not as happy with the letters, which for some reason did NOT look much like the original, but the WINGS are fabulous!  I swapped out the vial of seeds for a little padded ultrasuede heart and pearl.


 
I used soooo many tools, supplies and techniques to make these - and learned a lot along the way.  The base is masonite, with 2 Liquitex "unbleached titanium" acrylic coats, then the acetate was inked and stamped a la' Tim Holtz.  That was adhered to the masonite with Golden Gel Topcoat semigloss, and then painted over with 2 coats of the same gel medium.  The result was a lightly textured matte surface - with the background color and pattern showing through perfectly.  To make the letters and wings, I used Corel Draw and one of the fonts, and drew the wing layers freehand.  I set them up on 8 1/2 x 11 page, exported to a pdf that I could then use in my cutting software and electronic cutter.  A little extra work up front, but the cutting went perfectly on some cardboard I had scavenged (that was 8 1/2x11).  Soooo much easier than trying to cut multiples of these with scissors or an exacto knife!  (AGAIN, I impressed myself! hehehee)  The letters were embellished per the instructions for the original, glued on and then I made the frayed padded squares from an even-weave cotton, and sewed on the gold beads, lace and pearls.  Pulled the hot glue gun out of mothballs and put the wing layers together and then on the "pillow".  Finally, I cut two ultrasuede hearts with a Papertrey Heart die, padded it and sewed it together with white embroidery floss in a blanket stitch, and then added one more freshwater pearl.  Another dab of hot glue and DONE!  The lattice frame went together with amazing ease (although I had to measure and saw each frame separately, since Homey Depot did not manage to cut ANY of the 10x12 pieces of masonite EXACTLY 10x12!!!) [sheesh!!!]
Hope the recipients will like these!  What do you think???

1 comment:

Paula Cheney said...

Pat,
Loving the new technique that I have never done before. Love that you used what you had too.
paula